-
November 13th, 2001, 07:06 AM
#11
Matt Pacini
Guest
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mercutio:
[B]Matt;
I loved Lost Tribes. Lots of fun. In fact, I am showing it to an S8 class that I help teach to show them what can be done with super 8. I am donating my copy to the school library with a note for the Super 8 filmmakers to check it out.
Hope you don't mind.
Mercutio
Oh, its the School of the Museum of Fine Arts (of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston/ Tufts University)."
(Matt Pacini responds):
Wow, thanks for the compliments.
To be honest, I've seen it so many times, I have no idea if it's entertaining or not.
I would probably feel the same way about Raiders of the Lost Ark or Titanic, if I had seen them 1200 times too! (This is the worse thing about editing your own work. You get REALLY sick of it!)
No problem putting it in the library.
Hopefully my website(s) will be up and running soon, so there will be lots of info on the film there.
Bookmark them and check back in a few weeks, if you're interested: www.blackforestentertainment.com www.mattpacini.com
Thanks!
Matt Pacini
------------------
-
November 13th, 2001, 08:50 PM
#12
PhillipF
Guest
Hey Matt!
Congrats man! As a norm with small indipendant distributors it's a 50/50 split. If they DO take a percentage it should be 10% if your union and 25% in non union. MAKE SURE THAT THEY GIVE YOU A RELEASE DATE! I CAN'T STRESS THAT ENOUGH! If they fail to put your product out by a certain date then they forfeit the rights to your film and pay a fine.
A real good company to go through is Sub Rosa Studios (www.b-movie.com) Ron Bonk who owns it is excellent.
Also most distributors (mainstream anyway) should give you up front money for the film. This is the norm and they know it. It's an advance that all filmmakers get from their distributors then from there you get your percentage. Now that upfront money is ONLY with the "A" distributors. Although I like Sub Rosa, they don't do the upfront thing. FirstRites is another good one to go through (if this one that your with doesn't pan out.)
Anyhow...good luck man! Thrilled to see that it's happened for you!
PhilF.
------------------
-
November 13th, 2001, 10:18 PM
#13
Matt Pacini
Guest
Thanks for the advice Phil.
This contract is a litle scary to me.
I realize a first-time filmmaker isn't going to get a really sweet deal, but it's a five year contract, with no provisions for forfieture (like if they fail to do ANYTHING!), and there is really scant mention of them paying me in the contract!
Not a good sign!
It doesn't say, for instance, that I'm paid quarterly, or anything about when, or how disbursements are made.
So I'm really a little suspicious, but I'll certainly see if I can work something out with them, and hopefully, like I mentioned before, I can get an agent out of the deal, or something that will lead to the next gig and/or financing.
Matt Pacini
------------------
-
November 14th, 2001, 06:36 PM
#14
PhillipF
Guest
Yea, man, If you can get an agent to help in the negotiations of the film, that would be fantastic. They NEED to let you know when you get paid as well as information sheets that tell you where and how much of your product was sold. Also, make sure that they don't take any "extras" for their own overhead, (bills, payment for their secretary) things like that. If they can give you a sample contract to review, and have your agent review, that would be ideal. Sub Rosa Studios promises to release your film 4 months after they have received it. After that, you get paid every 3 months for a 7 year deal.
You're a smart guy, I know that you'll cover all your bases.
PHL!
------------------
-
November 15th, 2001, 03:01 AM
#15
Scottness
Guest
Congratulations Matt that's fantastic - and an inspiration to us all - there's obviously alot of provisos to look out for - but you're obviously on top of that -- congratulations again - look forward to hearing more about it --- and hopefully it will lead on to "backed deals" - could be jsut the foot-in you're looking for!
Scot M
------------------
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks